Situated by the banks of the river Ganga, Haridwar is an ethereal destination for the soul searching for a deeper meaning to their life. Visiting Haridwar is like visiting that primordial home where peace prevailed at every moment.
The lanes and colors of the city, has a very unique charm that draws people from far and wide. It is an important pilgrim site for the Hindu devotees and even foreign tourists come here to experience a transcendental feeling.
Haridwar, the land of Gods and specifically the abode of Hari – The creator, is visited by tourists all throughout the year. The town is easily accessible from most parts of India. You may be wondering how to reach here. Read on to find out.
How to Reach Haridwar from Mumbai, Delhi or Chandigarh?
Haridwar from Mumbai :
- Take a flight from Mumbai and come down to either Delhi or Chandigarh. From there you have to either take a bus or pre-booked taxi to reach Haridwar.
- Take a direct train from Mumbai and reach Haridwar. It takes more than 24 hours by train.
- You can reach Haridwar from Mumbai by car via the national and state highways.
Haridwar from Delhi :
- If you want to take a flight from Delhi, then you have to reach Dehradun (Jolly Grant Airport) and from there take a pre-booked cab to reach Haridwar.
- There are direct trains that ply between Delhi and Haridwar. The time is approximately 4 Hours and more depending on the train you have chosen. You have to take a taxi from the Haridwar station to reach your hotel.
- You can go to Haridwar from Delhi by road in your private vehicle or by a rental cab service.
Haridwar from Chandigarh :
- There are direct trains from Chandigarh to Haridwar. The journey is of around 4 hours. You have to take a taxi to reach your hotel.
- The most feasible option is to take a cab and directly reach Haridwar and go to other places in Haridwar.
Best Time to Visit Haridwar
The months of October to March is the best time to visit Haridwar. You will not have to face the rains and neither the sultry heat. You can enjoy a pleasant stay during these months.
Where to Stay in Haridwar
Haridwar is a full-fledged tourist destination and abounds with many accommodation options. You should pre-book your hotels through a trusted travel partner to avail the best deals. There are luxury as well as budget hotels to choose from. Try to book you hotel in the heart of the city to get easy access to the nearby attractions.
Haridwar is primarily a place of pilgrimage with lots of places to offer your prayers to god. The place is so colorful by evening that you will simply feel ethereal just by sitting by the Ganges river banks and release a ‘lighted diya’ afloat in the holy water. Some major tourist attractions in Haridwar are:
- Maya Devi Temple : This is considered to be a Sati Peeth (holy places where the organs of Sati dropped in India). This temple is very popular among tourists as it is considered to be a wish-fulfilling temple. You must visit the temple and see the wonder for yourself.
- Mansa Devi Temple : This is another most visited place in Haridwar. The temple is situated above a small hill that you can climb on foot or take a cable car ride to the top.
*Please note that there is a long line for the cable car and it can take an entire day for you to visit the temple and come back.
- Chandi Devi Temple : Yet another ‘seedh peeth’ in Haridwar, this temple is also one of the five pilgrim sites in Haridwar. You can take a cable car ride to the top of the Sivalik hill or trek 3 kms to the top. It is a must visit in your Haridwar holiday package.
- Shaktikunj Ashram: This is a new-age ashram that teaches people a new perspective on yoga and other spiritual activities. You can go here to rejuvenate your life force and return back with lots of new perspectives to lead a new life.
Other Things to do in Haridwar
- Visit the Har Ki Pauri ghat (River bank) in the evening and take part in the immersive experience of the Ganga Aarti. This is a must.
- Visit the local market and buy any sort of religious articles. You can also get a lot of other articles as souvenir.
- Visit the local food stalls and enjoy the rich vegetarian foods served locally. You will simply love all the delicacies.
- Visit the Bara Bazaar located on the station road in Haridwar. The colorful market will surely take your breath away.
Haridwar – Rishikesh Tour
If you are in Haridwar, then visiting Rishikesh is customery. You cannot afford to come to Haridwar and not go to Rishikesh. There are some very important places in Rishikesh which are given below :
- Ram Jhula : Ram Jhula is a connective suspension bridge that connects the two banks of Ganga. There are many ashrams and temples around the Ram Jhula. You will simply love seeing the mighty Ganga ebb and flow beneath you, from the bridge. You can also feed hoards of fishes that abound this part of the Ganga.
- Lakshman Jhula : This is the shorter counter part of the Ram Jhula and is made in a similar structure. You can enjoy the scenic landscape from the bridge and also reach the other side for a short excursion around the area. You may take a boat ride to see the structure of the bridge from down below.
- Bharat Mandir : This is an age-old temple from the times of the Vedas. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is revered by tourists. You will definitely feel very contented as you visit one of the oldest shrines in Rishikesh.
- Ganga Aarti : Just like in Haridwar, the Ganga Aarti in Rishikesh is a sight to behold. It is ethereal and you must take part in this on your visit to Rishikesh.
Uttarakhand has always amazed us with its beauty and has amazing places both for travel lovers and spiritual people. Other then Haridwar, you can also learn about 20 best tourist destinations and 5 most visited places in Uttarakhand
How to Reach Rishikesh from Haridwar?
There are no direct flight or train from Haridwar to Rishikesh. There are buses however. But the best option is to take a Pre-Booked cab from Haridwar and reach Rishikesh. It is only 23 kilometers away from Haridwar.
Where to Stay in Rishikesh?
There are a number of budget hotels that you can book through your travel agents. The hotels are quite affordable and provides the guests with basic amenities.
Other Tourist Attractions To Include in Your Haridwar Tour Package :
Rajaji National Park :
This national park is located just 21 Kms from Haridwar and can be easily accessed by car. The park is a fusion of three national parks and nestles the Shivalik range within. There are many entry points to the park and you can also stay over or come back to Haridwar after a day-trip to the park. There are not many accommodation option in this region except Wild Brook Retreat. The Park abounds in natural flora and fauna. Some other thing to know:
- Entry fee : INR 150 ( for Indians), INR 600 (for foreigners) for approximately 3 hours
- Safari shifts : 6 am to 9am and 3 Pm to 6 Pm
- Vehicle Entry Charges : INR 250 for Indians and INR 500 for foreigners.
- Camera charges additional.
- Guide charges additional if opted.
- Jungle Safari can be done with prior permission and booking.
Note: The park remains closed during the rainy season and remains open from 15th November to 15th June.
Tribal Village Tours Near the Rajaji Park Area
Many tourists opts for a visit to the tribal population living around Haridwar. The Gujjar trible is one such community who still lives through a traditional life even at the face of modernity.
You can see their culture and lifestyle and they are very friendly and communicable. On request they even present their traditional dance which is another glimpse of their culture. Ask your tour operator to arrange the visit for you.
Travel Tips For Your Haridwar Visit :
- Make sure you visit Haridwar during March – April, to enjoy your stay the most.
- Book a hotel near the Ganga bank to enjoy the beautiful view of the city.
- Travel light as you will be tempted to buy a lot of things from the local market.
- Carry extra clothes if you want to take a dip in the Holy Ganga.
- Keep an extra day if you want to take the cable car ride to the temples like Mansa Devi temple.
Hope this blog helps you to plan your Haridwar trip with ease. For any sort of pan-India travel solution you can always contact TravelOdesk.